I had the griddle out the other day because we were making french toast and instead of putting it away, I decided that I would try my hand at making a good looking grilled cheese. So I started making a regular grilled cheese on sourdough bread and it looked good. Then I remembered that a friend of mine told me about ‘sandwich smashers’… I saw an avocado in my fruit bowl, some cherry tomatoes in my fridge, and I just had to put them together! So here is what I like to call
Avocado Grilled Cheese Smasher
You will need:
- Sourdough bread (preferred)
- Sharp Cheddar cheese
- Cherry tomatoes
- Red Pepper
- Salt and Pepper to taste
First, let prep our ingredients:
- Open and pit the avocado, scoop out and mash the avocado little bit with a fork.
- Cut a about 3-4 cherry tomatoes in half per sandwich
- Along with couple slices of red peppers
- In a hot pan throw in tomatoes and peppers with a pinch of salt and pepper
- Add just a little water to create some steam in the pan, covered and let sit till the veggies look soft.
- Remove from the heat and remove peppers and tomatoes from the pan.
- In another pan with a little butter add 2 slices of sourdough bread.
- Add cheddar cheese to one slice of bread
- On the other slice of bread add your avocado smash and top with tomatoes and peppers you cooked and spinach.
- The cheese should be melted and you should be able to put the slices together and grill on both sides till golden brown.
If you have a panini sandwich press you can then make your sandwich and grill it on the press with a little butter. It will probably come out a little faster.
You can add some left over chicken, or even steak to add another dimension to your grilled cheese.
It is a delicious and easy way to make grilled cheese, and I have been told to make it “all day, everyday”, so enjoy!